Monday, July 6, 2015

THE LAMENT OF THE FUGITIVE / EXCERPT FROM THE RED ROAD REFRAIN ~ MCVICKER ~ 2004






THE LAMENT OF THE FUGITIVE / THE RED ROAD REFRAIN
mcvicker 2004

In the distance, the Captains horn,
His dogs are close behind.
The wound, my side, is burning strong,
my eyes, are almost blind.  

The air hangs heavy on this River Road,
thick with life all around,
as mine flows out and chills my bones,
and soaks the very ground. Red on Red

When can I stop and be still?
The Captain drives me on,
his crazy hounds are at my heel.
My Lord, have you forgotten?
Will I Lose my faith on this red road?
Very soon, I will stop, 
and be still. Red on Red 

I make my way to the shallows,
exhaustion without relent.
My future lies at the gallows,
if his dogs find my scent.

Muddy water burns my side.
I am drifting, to days before.
My head swoons, with the River's tide,
as I remember opening the door.

Is it you, Oh Lord, that pulls my soul?
Do I keep my grip and stay?
Shall I simply relax my hold
and gently float away?

Silence now.
Dare I imagine, am I safe?
What deception do the insects know,
my senses to be betrayed.

It seems like days I've led this chase.
Nightfall, has given me pause.
I must keep my rendezvous, to make my case.
Stay the course, for the cause.

I lay here submergerged in the muddy wake.
The tide pulls me strong.
As I let go, branches break.
Red River carries me along.

The Captain emerges from the woods, 
with the force of ten.
He curses and fires quick  rounds.
Musket balls flash, streak through the darkness; my friend.
I am swallowed by blackness, not to be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment